Over 500 students each year learn about composting, soil building and environmental stewardship at the Rainier Beach Learning Garden (RBLG). They gain a new appreciation for the natural world and an awareness of where food comes from, and have fun outside in the garden!
Students participate in all stages of growing food, from preparing the soil to harvesting, cooking, and eating. The garden is behind South Shore Elementary School and Rainier Beach High School and serves those and several other nearby schools, community centers and day care programs. The RBLG is part of the Rainier Valley Eats coalition working to increase access to fresh healthy food for folks in Rainier Valley.
- Learn more about Seattle Tilth’s programs at the Rainier Beach Learning Garden
- Contact Us! Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get directions to the garden
- Volunteer at RBLG
A Pacific Northwest native, Joanna Stodden loves nothing more than sharing her love of the natural world with others. After graduating from The Evergreen State College in 2007 with a B.S. in field biology and environmental sciences, she conducted amphibian and salmon stream surveys in Washington, Oregon and Southeast Alaska. She eventually found herself a bit lonely in the field amongst the grizzly bears and missed sharing the remarkable biodiversity of the Northwest with others and returned to Seattle. Joanna has taught environmental education for many years at the Pacific Science Center’s Mercer Slough Campus, the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies out of Homer, Alaska and most recently, served as the education coordinator for the Environmental Science Center in Burien, WA.
Joanna is thrilled to have found her current home at Seattle Tilth’s Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands as she loves working with the diverse communities we serve. You will most likely find Joanna following an ant back to her colony or squawking with the chickens.
- South End Summer Happenings August 6, 2015 - Introducing the New Food and Farm Hub We’re pleased as peaches to introduce the new Food and Farm Hub! The 5,000 square foot building is one of the first multi-use food […]
- Seattle Tilth Shines in the Media October 3, 2013 - It’s always exciting to share our stories with other organizations who are doing great work in our region. Check out the following videos and articles that have appeared in the […]
- Don’t miss Seattle Tilth’s Summer Garden Camps for Kids! July 17, 2011 - Seattle Tilth presents Summer Garden Camps for Kids 2011 at the Rainier Beach Learning Garden, 4800 S. Henderson Seattle, WA 98118 Ages 3-5, with adult Cost: $30/25* Classes: Slime Time, Wed June […]
- Work Parties at Southeast Seattle Gardens May 22, 2011 - There are several community gardens around Southeast Seattle that need extra attention during the busy growing season. Please join Rainier Valley Eats! in tending to these gardens — get some […]
- Summer Garden Camps at Rainier Beach May 5, 2011 - Seattle Tilth is offering fun and educational garden camps this summer for children 3-10 years old, June through August. Kids explore the fascinating world of insects, plants and soil, […]