This recipe was served at our January Community Kitchen Dinner at Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands. The menu consisted of traditional Southern New Year’s food — “peas for pennies, greens for dollars, and cornbread for gold!”
Recipe yields about 6-8 servings. Recipe from “Farming While Black” by Leah Penniman.
Ingredients for Cabbage Slaw
- ½ head of green or red cabbage or a combination, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
Ingredients for Dressing
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh parsley or dill
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl
- Toss all cabbage, carrots, and red onion in a large bowl and toss thoroughly with the dressing. Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Try a Different Version!
- Peanut version: add sesame oil, carrots and peanuts
- Mint version: add chopped fresh mint and thinly sliced radishes
- Caribbean version: add chopped mangoes and crushed cashews
- Fruity version: add chopped apples and dried cranberries