– 4 Tablespoons butter
– 1 (8 oz) package uncooked medium egg noodles
– 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
– 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour/ sorghum flour (gluten free)
– 2 cups milk
– salt and pepper to taste
– 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
– 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
– 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
– 2 tablespoons butter, melted
– 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
• Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
• Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
• Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with cheese.
• Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Makes 6 servings
Amounts Per Serving Calories: 562 | Total Fat: 31.3g | Cholesterol: 125mg