This healthy dessert can be made throughout the year highlighting whatever fruit is in season, from pears and apples to peaches and plums. Makes 6 servings
– 3 tablespoons salted butter
– 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
– 3 Bosc pears, halved and cored
– 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
– 1/2 cup plain yogurt, optional
• Preheat oven to 400° F
• Put butter in a 6”x8” baking dish and place in oven to melt.
• Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
• Place fruit cut-side down in a single layer over the sugar and butter.
• Bake until fruit is tender all the way through, about 30 minutes.
• Turn fruit over, baste with caramel sauce and continue to bake until golden and glossy, about 10 more minutes.
• Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
• Place fruit in serving bowls and drizzle with caramel sauce.
• Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
• Add a dollop of plain yogurt on the side for a pleasant balance of flavors.
• Preheat oven to 300° F.
• Place almonds spread evenly on a baking tray.
• Place in oven for 8-10 minutes, until evenly golden brown.
• Remove immediately and cool in a bowl.