Gooey mozzarella encased in a crunchy golden shell makes this simple and classic dish irresistible. Makes 18-20 croquettes
– 6 medium russet (baking) potatoes (2 1/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
– 1/2 pound mozzarella, chopped
– 1/4 cup grated parmesan
– 1 tablespoon onion salt
– 1/4 cup chopped parsley
– 3 large eggs
– 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
– About 2 1/2 cups olive oil
- Generously cover potatoes with salted cold water (2 teaspoon for 4 quarts) in a large pot, then simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and chill in a large bowl until cool, about 45 minutes.
- Mash potatoes, then stir in cheeses, onion salt, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt to taste.
- Stir in 1 egg.
- Form potato mixture into 24 oblong croquettes (about a scant 1/4 cup each).
- Lightly beat remaining 2 eggs in a shallow bowl and put bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Dip 1 croquette into egg, letting excess drip off, then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining croquettes.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Fry croquettes in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per batch.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately.