These make a great breakfast or snack and can be changed to any fruit of your choice, berries are excellent fresh in the summer! Makes 12 muffins
– 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
– 1 1/2 cups white flour
– 1/4 cup wheat germ, wheat/oat bran, or ground flax seeds (for fiber!)
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 1/2 cup milk
– 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
– 1/4 cup oil, canola
– 2 eggs
– 2 cups applesauce (or other fruit)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center.
• Combine milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and let it stand for 5 minutes. (this makes it similar to buttermilk and it’s normal for it to get a little curdled and chunky)
• Add the oil and eggs to the milk mixture and stir to break up egg yolks
• Pour the liquids all at once to flour mixture. Stir just till moistened.
• Gently fold in apple sauce (or other fruit) to batter.
• Lightly grease muffin cups or line with paper cups.
• Use a scoop to measure portions and fill muffin cups.
• Bake in oven on middle rack for about 20-25 minutes.
• Muffins are done when the tops bounce back when you press lightly with your finger.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories: 232 (25% from fat) Total Fat 7 g Sat Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 38 mg Sodium: 242 mg Total Carbohydrate: 39 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 6 g Calcium: 120 mg Iron: 1.4 mg