Caramelized Balsamic Onions Tomato Sauce
This twist on the usual tomato sauce adds distinct flavor and will make even the common spaghetti meal taste gourmet! Use for eggplant parmesan, lasagna, or as a pizza sauce, too! Serves 4-6
– 1 T olive oil
– 1 medium onion, ¼ inch slices
– 2 T Balsamic vinegar
– 1 ½ cups (12 oz can) crushed tomatoes
– 1 ½ cups (12 oz can) diced tomatoes
– 2 T garlic, minced
– 1 t dry or 1 T fresh oregano
– 1 t dry or 1 T fresh thyme
– 2 bay leaves
• Cut onions into ¼ inch slices.
• Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
• Add onions and stir often until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
• Pour Balsamic vinegar and simmer till liquids reduce down.
• Add garlic, herbs, and mix until herbs fragrance come out.
• Add tomatoes and turn heat down to low.
• Simmer for 30-45 minutes till flavors are absorbed.
Fresh Fettuccini Pasta with Greens
A lovely combination of colors and flavors. Fresh pasta makes this dish so delicious and can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Serves 4-6
– 1 T olive oil
– 1 medium onion, sliced
– 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
– ¼ cup dry sherry
– 1 bunch greens, (collards, kale, or chard) cut into ribbons ¼ inch thick
– 5- 6 cups fresh pasta (fettuccini or shape of choice)
– 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
– 2 T balsamic vinegar
– 1 tsp salt
– ½ tsp pepper, fresh ground
– ½ cup basil, chopped
– Garnish with parmesan or Romano cheese
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and caramelize, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour sherry and simmer till reduces down.
- Add greens and stir till vibrant green.
- Add roasted peppers, pasta, balsamic vinegar, and salt/pepper.
- Stir till evenly mixed.
- Garnish with cheese if desired.
Beet Chocolate Cake
– 1 1/2 cup white flour
– 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
– 1 1/4 cup sugar
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1/3 cup cocoa powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup oil
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 2 small beets
– 1 T red wine vinegar
– 2 T vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients together. Make sure to get out any clumps of cocoa powder.
- Combine wet ingredients in a measuring cup.
- Shred beets into a bowl. Combine with wet ingredients.
- Add wet to dry and mix just enough to moisten all the ingredients.
- Oil and flour baking pans
- Pour batter into cake pans and place in oven for 30-35 minutes until middle bounces back when pressed
Chick Pea and Red Lentil Stew
Warm up this winter with this protein rich stew! Add a side of salad and a warm piece of bread for a simple yet balanced meal. Serves 4-6
– 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
– 3 medium chile peppers, chopped (omitted for the little one)
– 4 cloves garlic, chopped
– 2 teaspoons garam masala
– 1/4 cup sesame seeds
– 3c cooked garbanzo beans
– 1/2 cup dried red lentils
– 1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree ( i used one of our jars and pureed it
– 2 cups vegetable stock
– 1/4 cup pitted black olives (substituted Kalamata for flavor)
– 1/2 cup yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions.
- Add peppers, garlic, garam masala and sesame seeds and cook until peppers begin to soften.
- Combine everything except the yogurt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for ~25-30 minutes.
- Add yogurt before serving.